SWIMWEAR NEWS, FASHION, TRENDS
Sep 6, 2012
2013 Swimwear Trends from Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim
The Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami is a great opportunity to see what swimwear designers have in store for the upcoming year. While the Spring-Summer 2013 swim season promises to provide an eclectic mix of styles that are guaranteed to satisfy a myriad of tastes, we've identified the top five trends in 2013 swimwear - as seen at Miami Fashion Week's runways:
1. RETRO SWIMWEAR: Retro, vintage or pin-up style, whatever the name, 2013 swimwear will have it! High waist bottoms, which have been around the past two seasons or so, have now become a major swim trend adopted by virtually all designers. Structured bustier tops, Americana and nautical prints, skirted bottoms and ruffle details also evoke elements from the 40's and 50's swimwear designs.
2. FLORAL: Dainty, in small repetition patterns, or bigger, in vibrant colors - whichever is your preference, you will be sure to find plenty of flowers next swimwear season! Here, the palette is mostly consisted of pinks, reds, oranges and blues.
3. LINGERIE-INSPIRED: For 2013, designers blur the lines between the bedroom and the beach, bringing typical lingerie elements into their swimwear collections. Underwire tops will be a must for 2013, so be on the lookout for structured tops with marked cups and a corseted look - and underwire support! Multi-straps lend a bondage feel to some swimsuits, while sheer textiles strategically placed prove to work for swim just as well as they do for lingerie. And plunging necklines in one-piece swimsuits and monokinis are sure to make it for a sexy 2013 swimwear season!
4. MARITIME TIME: Ocean inspired elements are featured prominently in hardware, prints and shapes for next swim season. The palette is filled with sea greens and deep ocean blues, in prints that have a decidedly underwater feel - like in coral reef prints and wispy watercolor brush strokes.
Images: Plush Swimwear. Photos: Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim
5. 80's INFLUENCE: Color-blocking continues into the 2013 swim season as a strong trend. Like in the 80s, athletic references in swim will be evident, such as scuba swimsuits, zippers, outlined silhouettes and the use of neoprene in fashion swimwear (and of course color-blocking!) Vibrant colors pitted against each other, creating visual interest are a key to this look.
2013 SWIM COLORS:
Pinks and reds, from lighter shades such as coral, to the darker plum and burgundy will be heavily featured in 2013 swimwear. Reds take on more orange tones, in vibrant, lively hues. Turquoise, aqua green and Caribbean blue will also be prominent in both solids and prints.
Here are other noteworthy trends we've seen at Miami Fashion Week:
Native, tribal influences - such as fringe tops, ethnic inspired graphics in geometric form, feather prints or applications, and zigzag designs promise to be rather strong in some 2013 swim collections - particularly fringe.
Mix-matching prints, colors - lots of designers have incorporated mix-matching tops and bottoms in the past - these usually come with a solid color on the top or bottom from the same scheme or family of the matching print. Next year, we'll also see completely different solid colors in tops than those from the bottoms. We saw more and more designers investing in reversible styles to allow customers to enjoy a wider variety in mix-matching.
Texture - unusual or unexpected fabrics for swim, with texture provided by raised designs or patterns (such as in brocade) are becoming very popular and we expect to see these grow in the next few seasons. The key in this look is to not include hardware in the swimsuit or to do it minimally, as the fabric texture should speak for itself.
Bodysuits - one piece swimsuits with an almost leotard feel, like shapewear or bodysuits that work great as transitional pieces are also gaining momentum for the upcoming seasons.
These round out the top 2013 swimwear trends from Miami Fashion Week! Which ones are your favorites?
Tags: Fashion Shows, Trends, Agua Bendita, Agua De Coco, Ank, Aqua Di Lara, Caffe Swimwear, Gottex, Kooey, L Space, Lisa Blue, Luli Fama, Red Carter, Sauvage Swimwear, Wildfox
Beach Bunny Model Search!
Urban Jungle Swimwear - Harper's Bazaar Australia
Beach Bunny Spring-Summer Campaign
Gottex 2010: A Fresh New Look
Izabel Goulart for Muse Magazine - Spring 2012
© 2009 - 2014 Plush Fashions, LLC.
The content published on this website is protected by copyright. In order to reproduce any portion of this website, proper attribution is required. Crediting the author of the content and providing a link back to the article or to this website's homepage are both required for proper attribution to be established.
THE SPLASH: E-MAGAZINE